EarthCube Leadership Council forms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Working Group
Recent events have prompted the EarthCube Leadership Council and the EarthCube Office to take steps as a community to better address diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the geosciences. We feel we have a unique role as a community in our approach to DEI and seek to be a welcoming place for open discussions, education and support within our community. Ultimately, we seek to increase diversity in our community and to create a culture that provides equitable treatment of all community members. Therefore, the EarthCube Leadership Council will establish a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Working group.
The EarthCube DEI Working Group supports and advocates for the vision and values dedicated to equity, diversity, and inclusion of EarthCube Community members. It is charged to:
- Examine current practices within our community to ensure that DEI concerns are being fairly addressed
- Provide a series of educational activities relating to DEI that are open to all community members
- Recommend steps to elevate and become responsive to systemically marginalized voices within the EarthCube community
- Ensure that our products, tools and services are accessible and have no barriers to our diverse geoscience community
- Create a safe venue to report concerns about DEI within our community
We will strive to create a working group membership that is representative of the demographics of the EarthCube community.
The DEI Working Group is a recommending body and shall serve to advise the Leadership Council and EarthCube Office on equity, diversity, and inclusion goals, strategies, plans, policy, and projects.