Deputy Director - Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc.
Become part of a global community that is committed to developing solutions to the world’s water problems and for implementing solutions that can improve the lives of people everywhere.
Title: Deputy Director, CUAHSI
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Cambridge, MA
What We Do:
CUAHSI is a nonprofit organization with a mission to advance water science through interdisciplinary collaboration, to empower the community by providing critical infrastructure, and to promote education in the water sciences at all levels. CUAHSI’s support primarily is from the National Science Foundation, with additional support from other federal agencies and foundations. We promote water science excellence and innovation; develop and manage unique community resources and services; create and nurture productive collaborations and partnerships; and expand educational access and opportunities. The primary pillars of CUAHSI’s operations are Water Data Services and Community Services.
We value technical excellence, objectivity, collaboration, flexibility, transparency, and service to our community and society. We are committed to ensuring that diversity, inclusion and equity are reflected in our culture and in all of our community activities.
What the Deputy Director Does:
The Deputy Director reports to the Executive Director and supports both internal activities and external community engagement and services.
Internally, the Deputy Director manages CUAHSI’s Community Services staff. This involves working with the Executive Director and Project Manager to create and deliver services (e.g. workshops, training, cyberseminars, outreach, and other services) that are responsive to community needs, innovative, and serve the diversity of the water-science community.
Externally, the Deputy Director helps to grow the CUAHSI community by reaching and engaging new partners, managing existing relationships, and growing CUAHSI’s funding portfolio, particularly in the realm of water-science education and outreach.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Serve in place of the Executive Director as needed.
• Represent CUAHSI in conferences, professional associations, and other public venues, and effectively advocate for CUAHSI mission and services.
• Grow the Community Services funding portfolio, with a focus on educational services, through competitive grants and gifts from donors.
• Manage the Community Services staff, including recruiting, mentoring, and reporting on outcomes.
• Support delivery of products to funding organizations.
• Support continued integration of Water Data Services capabilities into Community Services.
• Partner with the Executive Director and the CUAHSI Board of Directors to strategically position CUAHSI for long-term success.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with CUAHSI members, representatives and the broader water science community
What the Deputy Director brings to CUAHSI:
• Five or more years of experience in research, teaching, or other relevant experience.
• A Ph.D. in water resources, environmental science, or other relevant discipline. Highly relevant experience may be considered in lieu of Ph.D.
• Flexibility and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills, especially in developing new partnerships.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, both independently and as part of a team and to set priorities in a flexible manner to address changing needs.
• A passion for CUAHSI’s mission, including both Water Data Services and Community Services.
• Proficiency with standard business products such as MS Office suite, Adobe products, etc.
• Ability to exercise highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
• Ability to travel as needed.
CUAHSI is an equal opportunity employer and offers a very competitive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, paid vacation, disability, and a 403(b)-retirement plan. More information about CUAHSI is at https://www.cuahsi.org/. Please send a statement of interest and CV to email@example.com.